edlina & the lynns
Birthdays are great reminders of God's gift of life. I woke up this morning knowing that I am so blessed that I can celebrate another year of my life. Ed has told me not to plan anything for the day as he would date me while Peggen babysits the lynns. Sounded good. I had my usual cup of hot drink in the morning and a piece of shortbread with an apple as we had forgotten to buy bread. Hao Wei came by shortly with a bouquet of fresh pink and purple carnations. That definitely spreaded some cheer in the morning.

Something was definitely "cooking" in the midst as my daughters had their secret talk. Oh well, I shall not spoil their secret plan. No, I would not probe further nor make it hard for these little ones who were trying to please their mummy.

I digged into my luggage for a card handed to me by my siblings at the airport a week ago. Eagerly I opened to find a personalized card created by my artistic brother which was entirely packed with long writing of wishes from both my beloved siblings - my only brother and only sister. Hmm.....maybe they are just bias but the words of affirmation and encouragement certainly lifted me up. As I was reading the card, Ed handed me another envelope with familiar writing. Oh, another surprise! A plain white envelope but seasoned with a meaningful touch by a precious friend. Some Aussie dollars to pamper myself! Highlighted by her to spend it on myself for she knows I have a problem with that. I've been learning through these years as God's child to use money wisely but working against the poverty mentality - hmm, I wonder like what some people say of Penang people in Hokkien, is it "khiam or kiam" ("thrifty or stingy")? It's been murmuring over my thoughts for a long time and I haven't gotten an answer. Ed and I were discussing on this matter on money in the train as we headed for the city. We never found our answers. To strike a good balance by being frugal in this modern life can be tough. I must say it is a great challenge in any urban Malaysian pastor's life. However, our mutual encouragement is to remember that God never leave their servants hungry.

How did I get into money matters?! If only we don't have to worry about money...

A day out without kids was a real treat. We got off Flinders Street to check out the visitors' centre but to find it too overwhelming. Victoria has too many choices. Ed pestered me to check with the personnel but I didn't know where to begin or what to ask for that matter! Choices. We picked up some brochures and walked around the centre. Seeing so many tourist waiting to be entertained, we decided we'll check out with some friends and stay with our uncomplicated plan; which is don't attempt to DO too much in just two months.

It was supposed to be our day out to have a nice date and have a romantic meal. There must be something we can afford. I flipped to the little brochure from the visitors' centre - Top Pocket Guide from Lonely Planets for romantic meals and getaways. My instinct was right.....forget it.....there won't be any "affordables". Though I believe our God can afford anything (afterall, Psalm 24 says He owns everything), I still thought a decent meal to fill our hungry stomachs would do. Afterall, romantic is relative. Ed spotted Hungry Jacks, which I could understand why - similar to his all time favourite - Burger King. So we settled for that. Our romantic lunch. No regrets. We enjoyed the loving presence of two people in love and the food - they were meant to fill our hunger.

The city is just like any big city. Bustling with throngs of people hurrying to and fro. Buildings of different kinds - ancient elaborate architecture mixed with modern scientific blocks. A city always offers one MANY choices. It was easy to make my choice. Mine is "the quest towards simplicity". So we headed straight to the bargain store and picked up some craft supplies for our kids. That was a delight to me as I found some materials our kids wanted for just a dollar fifty a pack.

We returned back just in time for dinner and I smelled the surprise "cooking" in the house. The kids thrusted forth immediately the moment the door opened. "Surprise!!!", they all exclaimed. Chrisa proudly handed me her newly written book on penguins - her gift to me. Ash and Nat pulled me in right away to present the beautifully decorated dining room. I was ushered in to sit on my "throne". The reigning queen for the day....while Bah Kut Teh was been served. Hui Li ran down with another bouquet of fresh flowers, from her and Rachel. How blessed I am for family and friends - old and new friends. We enjoyed our delicious steaming hot dinner before Peggen and company dashed off for a discipleship class.

While cleaning up the table, Ash brought out the cake which was supposed to be another surprise. Nat yelled, "No, not yet!" But it was too late. Her sister was too excited to present the cake proudly. This was a cake that the kids baked while Ed and I was out. Chocolate Fudge with berries and coloured rice toppings! Quickly Ash retreated the cake into the fridge and we will have to wait for all our friends to be home to enjoy it. The time has come.....for my final "surprise" - the cake!

- Selina -
0 Responses