edlina & the lynns
Through the years Christmas carries different meanings as I journey into different seasons. As a young child I looked forward to Christmas for it is a time of holiday. The shopping malls though not as sophisticated as this era were still brightly litted and one could hear the merry ringing of carols and Santa Claus' bells. I loved the days when we would gathered at my uncle's house to celebrate with lots of food and presents. The carolers would be there to grace the occassion. I remembered one year, I was about 12, my uncle asked me to be the MC for the party. I had my speech scripted, and above me was a banner in his house that printed, "Jesus is Lord". I guessed I did pretty well as a preteen MC but I could not bring myself to proclaim the inscription on the banner.

My girl guiding days were great. Every year we went carolling with the scouts. Much practice and effort were put in to perfect our songs and "getting business". One year I was the Santarina. One year I was the Manager - administering the business and mapping out locations and schedule. Well, lots of hard work but definitely learnt a great deal as a teen. That season were loaded with unending fun and laughter with good friends and made good memories. I still smile when I recall those wonderful teenage years.

The essence of Christmas took a turn when at 19 I came to know Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. I still join the carollers, I still feast on good food, I still have gift-exchanges, I still busied myself with Christmas projects in church - choir, dance, musical dramas. With kids at home now, we decorate Christmas tree. All these were still part of my life but they were done with a different spirit. The season is about joy than mere fun. It is about His Presence rather than the presents. It is about the celebration of the Giver instead of the commercialized giving. Since then, God gradually unfold the revelation of His glory and grace of Christmas to me. Christmas is a gift of love - for Emmanuel has come!

This year carved a change. We deliberately wanted to sip and savour the flavour of the season in a quiet mood away from the crowds. It was just a simple family dinner, some singing, bible reading and prayers at the confine of our own nest. My thoughts are still savouring Isaiah 9:6-7.
The prophet Isaiah proclaimed,
"For unto us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulder.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace
there will be no end."

Truly in Him, there will be no end. This special child was born, so that He may die in order we may live eternally. He is all. He is the Everlasting, the ultimate Prince of Peace; indeed there is no end. I receive His wisdom, rule, care, love and peace from the divine reservoir endlessly. And now with just a few days away to a new year, I am still savouring this portion of scripture...for in Him, there is no end.
0 Responses