edlina & the lynns
Jon Scieszka wrote an interesting children's book entitled, "Math Curse". The content of the book kicked off with a boy waking up in the morning and running through the day confronted with math problems - one after another. In summary, it was to reinforce the inevitable escape of math in life. Whether you like it or not, you got to work it out...and the book ended with "no problem."

Ash and Nat are both very intelligent, creative and lively children. But...they have one problem. They are not particularly crazy about math no matter how vital it is. They have no problems understanding the concepts but the real "doing" is a chore. It just got worse the last year. Math Curse was purchased to help them see the importance of math in life. Hmm, but deep down I can fully understand how dreadful it is to go through the tortures of numbers. Oh, how I remember those days as a nine-year old, my tears streamed down trying so hard to do my homework on "pecahan" (fractions). Felt as though my head was going to "pecah".

Ash decided she was going to do her math assignment at night as the past few attempts at night seemed to be more pleasant. It is something about the timing of the day. I agreed to her request. As long as she will be less frustrated, I am happy. That's the beauty of homeschooling.

It turned out tonight to be a dissapointment. She was equally frustrated - with herself. She retired to bed with tears. We talked, prayed and cuddled. It wasn't as easy as it was. She tried hard to go to sleep. In frustration, she sat up in tears. In empathy, I assured her with lots of practice and patience, she will do well - just like mummy. I told her my not so good experience in math; but determination paid off. Through the years I still got an "A".

I dropped the book I was reading, and called her into my room so I can sing her to sleep. Perhaps the soothing voice of a mum will do some wonders. After a few songs, she said, "I usually go to sleep with the vision of roads paved with gold in heaven. Now I only see numbers!"

I suggested she ease her mind by reading. Something she loves to do. Instantly she reached for a Saddleback Club book and snuggled between mum and dad. All three of us enjoying our own good read on the bed. I nudged her and reminded her that "the not so good thing" can become a blessing as Romans 8:28 says, "...in all things God works for the good for those who love him". After about an hour, she slipped down to her pillow, gave me a smile and slept.
0 Responses